THOMSON FOUNDATION: Media & Communications Manager
We are seeking an exceptional communications manager and editorial professional to develop and deliver high-level communications and event strategies that push forward initiatives and tell our story.
Thomson Foundation and Thomson Media support journalists and media organisations worldwide often in challenging and emerging economies. Our work promotes ethical reporting and ensures independent, trusted sustainable media businesses survive.
The media and communications manager works across all our programmes and training consultancies, one moment promoting our crucial work such as training journalists in the techniques of verification and digital growth strategies, the next highlighting the work of hundreds of talented young journalists who seek to attain our prestigious annual Young Journalist of the Year award.
This is a permanent full-time position and reports to the Director of Training and Communications.
What you will be doing
- Working with the Thomson Foundation/Thomson Media (TF/TM) teams to develop and implement effective, creative and engaging content and communications campaigns around Thomson Foundation/Thomson Media’s work, programmes and events.
- Leading on visual, branding and creative needs across TF/TM Building and managing the Thomson Foundation/Thomson Media’s online community.
- Producing and managing the Thomson Foundation/Thomson Media websites, event pages, social media channels and newsletters.
- Managing Thomson Foundation’s comms calendar and asset library, and generate ideas for new content and formats.
- Working closely with the team’s digital content producer to produce print and digital content for Thomson Foundation/Thomson Media’s programmes.
- Managing relationships with external suppliers to include, but not exclusively, web developers, designers, printers and content producers.
- Providing copywriting and proofing support for the TF/TM team as necessary.
- Ensuring all GDPR changes are respected and understood by the TF/TM team.
- Evaluating and analysing the performance of all digital and communications channels and report at regular intervals.
- Identifying, establishing, and maintaining professional relationships with national, regional and global media outlets for the purposes of story placement and reaching new audiences.
- Five years or more experience working in a communications role
- Proven experience growing audience reach on social media platforms
- Demonstrable experience building and managing websites
- Demonstrable experience of using data and insight to develop communications strategies
- Experience of commissioning and managing media productions including film and audio
- Demonstrable experience of managing multiple senior internal and external stakeholders and collaborating with people at different levels and within different functions
- Significant experience of creating marketing and communication plans
- Substantial experience of working in a fast-paced communications team, leading significant initiatives or taking sole responsibility for delivery of key communications projects
- Experience in planning and budgeting within a communications environment
- Understanding of the global media landscape
- Experience working in media and/or development and/or charity sectors
- Exceptional attention to detail, and are happy working both independently and in collaboration with others across the team
- Be able to write high quality digital content
- A brilliant written and verbal communicator with excellent interpersonal skills
- You are strategic, with strong organisational skills that help you manage and achieve competing priorities
- Ability to run and manage website content management systems
- Ability to report and analyse all aspects of communications activity, providing statistical data and improvement recommendations using google analytics and other reporting tools
- Ability to use tools within Adobe Creative Cloud including Photoshop and Premiere Pro.
- Excellent knowledge of branding strategies and UX Design principles An understanding of and commitment to equal opportunities.
- Languages, we are a global organisation proficiency in a second and third language in addition to English is desirable.
Salary: £40-45k based on experience
- Hybrid working/remote working
This position is offered as a remote working position in the UK with regular visits to our head office in London or our hybrid working model with two working days together based in our London office and three days which can be worked from home.
Additional discretionary holiday at Christmas
How to apply
Please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter into one document in either Word Document or PDF format by an email via the button below.
In your covering letter, please tell us what excites you most about joining the Thomson Foundation.
Deadline for applications: September 23rd 2023.